Vijay S. Ramanath
M.D., F.A.C.C., F.S.C.A.I.
- Interventional Cardiology
- Nuclear Cardiology
- General Cardiology
- Interventional Cardiology including Peripheral Vascular Interventions
- Peripheral Vascular Interventions
- Adult Echocardiography
- Peripheral Vascular Ultrasound
Accepting New Patients:
I am accepting new patients
6124 West Parker, Building 3
Plano, Texas 75093
- Ramanath VS, Thompson CA. STEMI: Adjunctive Therapies for Primary PCI In: The SCAI Interventional Cardiology Board Review. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2013.
- Ramanath VS, Thompson CA. STEMI: Reperfusion (Primary PCI vs Thrombolysis) In: The SCAI Interventional Cardiology Board Review. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2013.
- Ramanath VS, Thompson CA. Guidewires and Balloons - the Primer In: Textbook of Cardiovascular Intervention. Springer. 2013.
- Ramanath VS, Eagle KA. Guideline adherence and outcomes in coronary heart disease and heart failure In: UpToDate, Rose, BD (Ed), UpToDate, Waltham, MA, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Ramanath VS, Oh JK, Sundt III TM, Eagle KA. Acute aortic syndromes and thoracic aortic aneurysm In: Cardiovascular Diseases: Diagnosis and Management, Gerber TC, Asirvatham SJ, Lavie CJ, Oh JK (Ed), Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Rochester, MN, 2010.
- Scientific Publications:
- Ramanath VS, Thompson CA. Coronary chronic total occlusion recanalization - current techniques and approaches. Interventional Cardiology Review. 2013;8(1):41-5.
- Zlotnick DM, Ramanath VS, Brown JR, Kaplan AV. Classification and treatment of coronary artery bifurcation lesions: putting the Medina classification to the test. Cardiovasc Revasc Med2012 Jun 13 (Epub).
- Ramanath VS, Szot CR, Andrus BW, Kaplan AV, Robb JF. Takotsubo cardiomyopathy following administration of midodrine. Tex Heart Inst J. 2012;39(1):158-159.
- Robert AM, Brown JR, Sidhu MS, Ramanath VS, DeVries JT, Jayne JE, Hettleman BD, Friedman BJ, Niles NW II, Kaplan AV, Malenka DJ, Robb JF, Thompson CA. The evaluation of creatinine clearance, estimated glomerular filtration rate, and serum creatinine in predicting contrast-induced acute kidney injury among patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2012;109(1):122-7.
- Suzuki R, Isselbacher EM, Nienaber CA, Pyeritz RE, Eagle KA, Tsai TT, Cooper JV, Januzzi JL, Braverman AC, Montgomery DG, Fattori R, Pape L, Harris KM, Booher A, Oh JK, Peterson M, Ramanath VS, Froehlich JB. Type-selective benefits of medications in treatment of acute aortic dissection (from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection [IRAD]). Am J Cardiol. 2012;109(1):122-7.
- Ramanath VS, Eagle KA, Nienaber CA, Isselbacher EM, Froehlich JB, Cooper JV, Gu X, Evangelista A, Meinhardt G, Beckman J, Myrmel T, Pape L, Pyeritz RE, Hirsch AT, Bossone E. The role of preoperative coronary angiography in the setting of type A acute aortic dissection: Insights from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection. Am Heart J. 2011;161(4):790-796.e1.
- Booher AM, Isselbacher EM, Nienaber CA, Froehlich JB, Trimarchi S, Cooper JV, Demertzis S, Ramanath VS, Januzzi JL, Harris KM, O'Gara PT, Sundt III TM, Pyeritz RE, Eagle KA. Ascending thoracic aorta dimension and outcomes in acute type B dissection (from the International Registry of Acute Aortic Dissection [IRAD]). Am J Cardiol. 2011;107(2):315-320.
- Ramanath VS, Brown JR, Malenka DJ, DeVries JT, Sidhu MS, Robb JF, Jayne JE, Hettleman BD, Friedman BJ, Niles NW II, Kaplan AV, Thompson CA. Outcomes of diabetics receiving bare-metal stents versus drug-eluting stents. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;76(4):473-81.
- Olomu AB, Grzybowski M, Ramanath VS, Rogers AM, Motyka-Vautaw B, Chen B, Roychoudhury C, Jackson EA, Eagle KA. Evidence of disparity in the application of quality improvement efforts for the treatment of acute myocardial infarction: the American College of Cardiology's Guidelines Applied in Practice initiative in Michigan. Am Heart J. 2010 Mar;159(3):377-384.
- Ramanath VS, Armstrong DF, Grzybowski M, Rahnama-Mohagdam S, Tamhane UU, Gordon K, Froehlich JB, Eagle KA, Jackson EA. Discharge medication use and outcomes in acute coronary syndrome patients with non-obstructive coronary artery disease. Clin Cardiol. 2010 Jan;33(1):36-41.
- Ramanath VS, Oh JK, Sundt III TM, Eagle KA. Acute aortic syndromes and thoracic aortic aneurysm. Mayo Clinic Proc. 2009 May;84(5):465-481.
- Motivala AA, Tamhane U, Ramanath VS, Saab F, Montgomery DG, Fang J, Kline-Rogers E, May N, Ng G, Froehlich J, Gurm H, Eagle KA. A prior myocardial infarction: how does it affect management and outcomes in recurrent acute coronary syndromes? Clin Cardiol. 2008 Dec;31(12):590-596.
- Rogers AM, Ramanath VS, Grzybowski M, Riba AL, Jani SM, Metha R, De Franco AC, Parrish R, Skorcz S, Baker PL, Faul J, Chen B, Roychoudhury C, Elma MAC, Mitchell KR, Froehlich JB, Montoye C, Eagle KA. The association between guideline-based treatment instructions at the point of discharge and lower 1-year mortality in Medicare patients after acute myocardial infarction: The American College of Cardiology's Guidelines Applied in Practice (GAP) initiative in Michigan. Am Heart J. 2007 Sept;154(3): 461-469.
- Ramanath VS, Eagle KA. Evidence-based medical therapy of patients with acute coronary syndromes. Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2007;7(2): 95-116.
- Vasaiwala S, Nolan E, Ramanath VS, Fang J, Kearly G, Van Riper S, Kline-Rogers E, Otten R, Cody RA, Eagle KA. A quality guarantee in acute coronary syndromes: The ACC's GAP program taken real-time. Am Heart J. 2007 Jan;153(1):16-21.
- Ramanath VS, Lacomis JM, Katz WE. Diagnosis of pulmonary embolism by acute right heart morphologic and hemodynamic changes observed during exercise stress echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2004 Sep;17(9):1005-8.
- Nuclear Cardiology
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Interventional Cardiology
- Vascular Interpretation (RPVI)
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano
- Baylor Heart & Vascular Hospital
- Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano
- Baylor University Medical Center
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Allen
- Heart Hospital Baylor Plano
- American College of Cardiology
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Nuclear Cardiology
- American Board of Vascular Medicine
- Society for Coronary Angiography and Interventions
Honors and Awards
- D Magazine's Best Doctors in Collin County 2017
- Physician of the Year, Heart & Vascular Center, THR Plano 2015
Dr. Ramanath studied medicine at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY, followed by internal medicine training at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pittsburgh, PA. He later pursued specialty training in cardiology at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in NH, and then moved to Connecticut to undergo training in interventional cardiology and advanced techniques in peripheral vascular interventions at Yale-New Haven Hospital. Dr. Ramanath specializes in transradial (through the arm) heart catheterization, advanced techniques in preventing leg amputations, catheter-based therapies for blood clots, and minimally invasive procedures for varicose veins. He was included among the Four Physicians in the Corridor, voted the 2015 Physician of the Year by his colleagues and staff members of the Heart and Vascular Center at THR Plano, and most recently voted among the "Best Doctors in Collin County" in D Magazine for 2017. Though clinical medicine is his primary interest, he remains heavily involved in academic medicine, having authored several peer-reviewed publications and book chapters including one in a major interventional cardiology textbook. As a vascular specialist, Dr. Ramanath teaches endovascular techniques, serves as a national faculty educator for drug coated balloon angioplasty for the treatment of upper leg arterial blockages, and teaches varicose vein treatments, to physicians and surgeons from across the US. He welcomes patients to view his Plano West Vein Center page on Facebook. Finally, he is involved with multicenter national clinical trials. Thus, his patients have the opportunity to receive cutting - edge medical treatments if interested.
He and his wife have 2 children. Outside of medicine, Dr. Ramanath enjoys playing tennis, biking, skiing, and hiking.
- Medical School: SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, MD degree (1999-2003)
- Internship: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA (2003-2004)
- Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA (2004-2006)
- Fellowship: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Dartmouth Medical School, Lebanon, NH, General Cardiology (2008-2011)
- Fellowship: Yale-New Haven Hospital, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, Interventional Cardiology (2011-2012)